With origins to 1935 our original company name was W J Mercer & Company Limited.
The business reformed when acquired by Steve Backhouse, who took the business from strength to strength during the 1960’s and early 1970’s. On his tragic and untimely death in 1974 the company has remained family owned under the chairmanship of Shirley Backhouse.
Throughout our history our core values remain unchanged. We seek to act with utmost professionalism in the primary interest of our clients.
With continual improvement and innovation, we seek real values for both our staff and more importantly our clients, and we remain a market leader in our field.
We are one of the very few remaining independent brokers in the UK – We are NOT:
- Owned by an Insurer
- Part of a network
- Owned by a consolidator
What are the benefits of being independent?
- Our commission/fee costs are kept to a minimum.
- Selection of an appropriate Insurer is decided upon in each individual instance as being appropriate to you; we don’t work to a panel.
- We deal directly with the Insurers and the underwriting/management teams to obtain maximum discounts/improved covers and beneficial claims payments.
- Immediacy of decisions and ability to change our service as circumstances dictate for the client.
- New Insurers seek to actively engage our team as no contractual account commitments are made to existing suppliers.
Overall we are in charge of our own destiny and seek independence as a unique differential.
FINANCIAL CONDUCT AUTHORITY
Backhouse Insurance Brokers Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
CHARTERED INSURANCE BROKERS (CII)
A hallmark of excellence in 2007 the insurance broking sector entered a new era of professionalism, with the Chartered Insurance Institute awarding “Chartered Status” to firms demonstrating excellence in their field.
The pinnacle of achievement is the award of “Chartered Insurance Broker”.
Backhouse have responded to the challenges of a dynamic market, raising standards of knowledge, capability and ethical practice and gaining the Status, which acknowledges that the advice given by Backhouse is:
- Of the highest quality.
- Based solely on the researched needs of customers.
- Provided by someone not exceeding their level of competency.
To us it is not a matter of simply sending you a claim form, we deal with urgency and speed, prioritising as you need and with action plan and agreement.
QUALITY ASSURANCE PROCEDURES
With NEBOSH qualified staff, we are able to comment on and recommend Health & Safety procedure, integrating any formal plan with the Insurer which results in contribution of cost or discount in rate.
CORE VALUES AND MISSION
Our mission statement has been and always will be to put our clients first, from negotiating the most competitive rate with the widest cover possible, to dealing directly with claims and any other issues that have an insurance related issue.
We endeavor to exceed expectations.
We never forget that when you select Backhouse you are placing your trust and care in our company and team.